Thursday, November 16, 2006

Open Source

The "consultants" spoof on the previous blog was from Tech Republic.
This is an excellent source of IT information and resources.

Before coming to work in Nigeria I completed an MSc in Internet Engineering at the University of East London. My dissertation was on the use of open source software in developing countries: if anyone would like a copy please email me.

Most of the copies of Microsoft Windows being used in Nigeria are pirate versions (including organisations such as GTZ). This is understandable in most cases: a licensed copy of Windows XP costs about 20,000 Naira, i.e. 1 - 2 months salary for an office worker. Microsoft charge the same prices in Nigeria and other developing countries as they do in Europe and the United States, although the cost of Windows XP in the UK equals about one days work for an office worker. This is understandable because it's so easy to arbitrage software, i.e. buy it where it's cheap and sell it where it's expensive.

A lot of big companies are turning to Linux and other open-source software as an alternative to Microsoft. The downside is that there is a steep learning curve, although it is getting to be more user friendly. Linux is an excellent way to learn about computers and operating systems. I predict that it's going to take off in the future, as Microsoft start to protect their property rights in countries like Nigeria, therefore I would recommend budding IT entrepreneurs to get a copy and start playing with it.

1 comment:

Chxta said...

I can't seem to get my hands on your email address. Mine's chxtab@gmail.com.

Of course FOSS is the future. Has been obvious to me ever since I walked into MicroAcess two years ago...